Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Reminding myself how to race.....

Well Cal State opener at Bonelli Park was NOT how I had hoped it would go. Definately alot different than last year when I had my first pro podium and was feeling great. Then again Sunday was the first real race of the season, whereas last year I raced Bonelli after having done more road racing, plus 2 Cal States and 4 days at Sea Otter. It does seem to make a difference. Plus being sick for 2 solid weeks this month also did not help.

Right off the start line my legs felt terribly sore. It wasn't until nearly lap 2 that I felt good and speedy. It was too late to make up any time. I think my power was there, but my speed was limited by the pain in my legs. Could have been from hard workouts that week, or just not enough warm up, or not enough sleep. Who knows, but it reminded me to focus on the preparation aspect again. Sometimes it takes a few races to get back into "Race Mode". This weekend at NOVA Nationals should be excellent practice with 3 events (maybe 4 if I do Super D too).

One good thing about Sunday was seeing alot of folks I hadn't seen since last fall. Also lots of new faces, new friends and the usual suspects. It was also great to see some new additions to the expert and pro ranks. Keeps things interesting and more competitive. Welcome to talented Backbone ladies Vanessa and Heidi to expert, Ankie and Heather to pro! I also imagine some additional upgrades to occur during the season. It's going to be an interesting year to say the least.

My partner in crime, Joy dominated her class (and basically all the other classes) bringing home the 3rd fastest time of the day overall (and 1st expert by quite a time gap). This came out of left field according to Joy, but shows that the real Joy has come out from solid training and a sweet new bike. Or maybe some covert training ;) Perhaps we will see her upgrading to the pro ranks very soon. Of course I like to take some of the credit for her success being her mentor. ;) Hopefully she will still remember me someday when she is on a big time factory team :)

The journey to Fountain Hills, AZ kicks off at 4pm tomorrow. Matt, Trevor, Joy and myself head off for the weekend. Mandy will meet us at the venue, and Greg & Murphy will arrive Saturday well before the short track race.

I hope to provide a better report next week with hopefully some decent results!

No comments: