Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Another Fontana Nationals in the books

Ok this post is several weeks too late! In any event, we had Fontana Nationals a few weeks ago. It's certainly nice to be able to sleep in your own bed and drive 20 minutes to the venue each day. However, the difference is that the house chores and other daily distractions are still there. So when I am supposed to be off my feet resting, I am sweeping or doing dishes or laundry! I suppose being out of town at a hotel where all you can do is lay down and watch TV is probably the wiser choice over staying at home. Unless you are good at just being lazy at home, which I am NOT!

We had Zephanie and Kenny stay with us for the week between Firestone and through Fontana, which was great like last year! They brought 5 bikes along with them an a gazillion wheels, so our garage was extra packed! However, it was a fun sight to see. I shoud have snapped a photo! Also Murphy was very pleased to have some friends visiting to give him even more attention and playtime. Also Zeph shared some of her Power Bar SUN TEA which I just LOVED.

Also special shout out to KENDA/Titus/X-Fusion team sponsor Mighty Good Coffee. This is my new favorite coffee! They sent out 3 giant bags of beans for us to brew up. It was wonderful! Thanks to Zeph and Kenny for leaving the leftovers for us to enjoy ;)

The racing was pretty good. Especially on Saturday for the XC (apart from all the sections where people were OFF THEIR BIKES just like last year!). WAY TOO MUCH RUNNING for me. I was able to hang much longer with a new group of girls, some of who finish in the top 25. It was a very strange day for people, as many were falling and just not having the best day. I was seeing girls who finish top 20 not to terribly far ahead even on the 2nd and 3rd lap. In the end, I sprinted to the finish for 38th, but got 39th. No big deal because I was pleased with my time for the day and all of us in the 30s were only seperated by a few minutes. I made it through the day not falling once and was able to work with people all day. Made it a good day overall and I was pleased.

I worked so hard the rest of the day and Sunday morning to recover and prep for short track (Zeph and I watched Talledega Nights before heading to the venue). I was nervous because I had faired well in the short track at Fontana last year, so was expecting to do so again. However, the temps were reallyhot, the course was even tricker than last year. Apparently my legs were not as recovered as I thought because after an excellent call up and start (I went around the first bend in 15th place), my legs felt worse and worse each lap. I lost a ton of spots and was pulled out after only 3 laps. there were a few girls who were pulled out after 2, but I had hoped to be in it at least 4 or 5. Oh well! As Gareth said, short track is a good way for me to build peak power, but that is about all for now! :) I think I was spoiled by stayin in the short track the week before at Firestone for nearly the whole race! it was just a different course and a different week. ALSO the short track was the day before XC!

Greg took some pix, but I still haven't downloaded them from the camera!

Zephanie and Kenny had great results. Zeph was 12th in XC and STXC and Kenny was 8th (?) in Super D and had solid mid-pack results in a tough pro men's XC field.

Joy took home the gold in Expert 19-29 again! Including some GOLD ODI grips that I am not sure we will see her sporting. :)

Thanks again to everyone for the solid support and cheering out there! Leo from our title sponsor Pass Physical Therapy was there on Saturday, plus lots of other people cheering from the sides. I heard someone say "Hey! See you at Rim Nordic!" while I rode by during cross country. I am not sure who it was, but cool to be recognized even in a new kit!". On Sunday for my short lived short track Jess and Danielle came out, and also Matt, Denise and Ryder (my new BFF).

Also thanks to Roger, Vanessa, Ara, Jay, Teri, James, etc etc for their continued cheering and support! Once again I could hear James' voice from all points along the course!

No comments: