Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Countdown to Vision Quest

Sorry once again no pix. You wil definatley get to see some in the next post (after the race)

VQ is less than 4 days away at this point. I pre-rode a final 1/3 of the course (Black Star Canyon) this past Saturday with Marius and Georgina (actually it was the first leg of the race). We started at 7AM and it was plenty cold for me. Trying to imagine starting in the dark at 5:30 AM was not pleasant given that my hands and toes were in pain from the cold. Georgina and I tried shaking our fingers to release the pain, but that didn't work. Once the climbing started, I warmed up and forgot about the cold. I am hoping the same thing will happen on Sat during the actual race.

The first leg of VQ course is definately harder than the middle leg. the first target was a super doppler radar tower, it looked closer than it actual was (figures!). Once we got to the doppler tower, it was followed by much more climbing: steep in sections and alot of up and down (hard to keep a tempo). However, once again we had great views of the surrouding mountains and even downtown LA! it was VERY clear.

After 2+ hours of climbing (around 4,000 ft), we had the descent down Motorway. It was very technical in spots, lots of babyheads and some steep drop offs. It was my first time down this particular trail, so I took it pretty relaxed. Also figured for a 7+ hour race, a few minutes slowing down on a sketchy descent isn't a big deal.

So my preride of the Vision Quest trails is now complete. Only days away from the event, I am trying to get organized, get my bike, gear and nutrition ready to go. Also getting ready for that 3:30 or so AM wake up call. Ick!

Next update will be POST-VQ!

No comments: