Wednesday, February 14, 2007

2007 Season Is Underway

I haven't been blogging much, but I have certainly been busy on the bike. Focusing on training and kicked off the season with Boulevard Road Race on Feb 3rd. It was a tough race with some serious headwinds and crosswinds! I finished 13th out of around 50 women who started the race. Fellow MTB'ers Joy and Chrissy were there (Joy and I travelled together of course!) and both improved from last year for sure. Joy stayed with us in the lead group much longer, and Chrissy went on to finish 2nd place overall. Better results than last year for us MTB'ers and it was a harder race for sure. It was a combined Cat 3/4/35+ field again, and I was the 4th place Cat 4. This season for road races I am representing Team Redlands (Formerly seen in Jelly Belly kits, this year we have a new throwback desing for the kits (thanks Jeremy!))

Vision Quest is around the corner! Mandy, Georgina and friends and I have some big training days on the VQ trails coming up this Sunday, the following Saturday and THEN March 3rd is the big day. Starting at 5:30 AM is somethign I need to start preparing for. UUGH!

Team News: We have been picked up by Gary Fisher as a regional/grassroots team and have a new title sponsor and name: Pass Physical Therapy (they were our 2nd largest sponsor last year). K&N swaps postions with Pass and will be an associate sponsor. We will all be riding hardtail 29'ers and welcome Mandy Eakins to the team. We have Matt Freeman (pro) & Trevor Walton (semi-pro/singlespeed) returning, Mandy (pro) and myself (pro). Jeremy Templeman who once again has designed our team kits, will be representing the expert ranks.


I particpated in the Tour de Palm Springs once again this past weekend. 110 miles for the day with some fun and scary memories. Joy and I attended to a guy with a broken arm (saw him crash into an orange cone), a girl who crashed in front of us and got some road rash and a banged up knee, plus several near misses. I am putting together a letter to the event organizers because I saw WAY too many safety issues this year. In the 4 years I have been doing Tour de PS, this year was the worst! I did like the downtown start, but the first 20 miles are just treacherous, and the miles of orange cones didn't help! Anyways, miles 60-100 were pretty good except for the numerous stop lights. Joy and I met some triathon folks from Temecula and worked pace lines with them for around 50 miles. It was a good fit and we put in another good effort on an already heavy and painful training week. My friend Casey from Trek (the home office!) was out in the area for work and he played some fun rounds of "Flippy Cup" with my friends who did a fair share of "celebrating" at our rental house after the ride.

No comments: