Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Citrus Frenzy!

Another great thing about winter in Southern California (especially Redlands!) is the mass amounts of citrus fruit! Our orange trees have provided us with mucho fruit this winter. Could it possibly be due to the fact that we actually fertilized and watered them? The grapefruit tree is seeing less output than last year, but that’s ok with me. I prefer oranges anyways! In my efforts to prevent scurvy and other illnesses, I ate three oranges already today. My office smells like oranges (someone commented on it today). I also have some lemons as provided by Nicole and Chris’ lemon tree. We did a little bartering with oranges and lemons the other day. I also sent Teri and Joy home with some fruit over the weekend. Gotta keep everyone healthy! Plus we have so much fruit I don’t know what to do with it! Greg will only eat oranges if I peel them for him (just like mom) or make OJ with our juicer.

This past weekend was excellent in terms of training rides. Had a great 5 hour road ride with Joy, Teri and Jill. We capped off the ride with a nice lunch at Stell Coffee and Tea downtown. Our coffee sponsor for Team K&N. I am quite excited about it!

Sunday’s ride brought both Teri AND Jay to town all the way from Glendizzle. Joy came down from the woods and Toni drove up from Riverside. We met up with Matt, Josh, Jeremy and Trevor for a Crafton/Mentone Wash run. Greg did the intial part of the ride with us and then did some more riding on his own (said he had a great time!). Matt was representin' on his new Trek cross bike. He rocked the singletrack descent of Crafton on that thing! Only had to dismount once as far as I could tell.


After much discussion of food during the initial climb to Crafton, I knew where some of us would be retreating for lunch: my favorite post-ride lunch spot: Chipotle (chip-oh-top-lay, as some like to call it). Ok ok.. so it’s my favorite anytime lunch (or sometimes dinner) spot. We grubbed after and induced some pleasant food comas. Also need to add that the line was insane!! I have never seen such a large crowd at Chipotle (and I am truly a regular).


All in all it was a great weekend! It was fun to get most of the Team K&N gang out together for a ride! Also fun to have 2 days in a row of riding with my premiere chix training pals.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am also too lazy to peel, so I just cut the fruit in half and quarter each half! Maybe you can do this for Greg!

Mine were so tasty prepared this way!

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I miss the orange blossoms of my hometown Redlands! To tell the truth, however, I never really noticed them all that much growing up. It was just when I started going back home during the breaks while going to college that I finally started to notice them. In fact, one of the first times I really noticed the smell was when my wife (future wife at that time), was sitting in the passenger seat, smiling and breathing in deep breaths while we drove to my grandmother's house. Perplexed, I asked her what she was doing and if she was feeling alright. She turned and looked at me with her mouth agape and excitedly yelled, "The air smells like flowers!" (she's a city girl from huntington beach, and apparently this is not a very common occurrence out in the city... and from living out here in the city for a while, I totally agree now).