Thursday, October 06, 2005

Mammoth Report - Continued (Finally!)

Well, I had promised to write more about NORBA Nationals @ Mammoth, but next thing I know I am too busy with work, too busy flying to various weddings, etc etc. So, here is the rest of the weekend in a nutshell:

Saturday (XC race)
We lined up at 9:00AM to experience windy and pretty chilly weather. They split us up by age groups which meant it would take even LONGER for us to actually start. My body was getting very cold and I had lost the nice warmup I did before staging. The race started and I knew I would take things conservatively since it was going to be a long race. The first climb was PAINFUL, but I knew I had to hunker down. After the first climb, it was loop-de-loop in the singletrack. I felt like my legs just didn't want to ride FAST. Yea, the burnout factor. OR was it the high winds and all the DUST all over the place!!!!!!!! I kept a consistent pace, but knew the leaders were far far away at this time. Oh well, 3 weeks prior I didn't even want to do Mammoth at all.My luck ran out at Rim Nordic #3, followed by Brianhead (except for the short track), then basically every race after! The only good thing about Mammoth XC was that I DIDN'T have any mechanicals or flats.

Lap 2 I felt like I was gaining some more speed, but had to deal with pain in the rear end guys (experts and singlespeeders). The first men to pass me were the singlespeed race leaders (including World Champion Carl Decker). The #2 guy was on a pink bike. These guys are true rockstars, which is partially why I will do my first singlespeed race SOMETIME this fall or winter. The bike needs to be painted pink first. I managed to fall once due to another rider's error (YEA it was their fault!). Covered in dust at the start of lap 3 everyone figured I ate it pretty bad. Fortunately I wasn't hurt.

Lap 3 I was contemplating quitting racing all together. Why the heck couldn't I get enough power to PASS anyone. I think back to NORBA National @ Big Bear, 2004 where I took 2nd place and had one of the best races of my *career*. Finishing within the top 5 for all age groups. So, Lap 3 continues, being passed by yet another guy (I think I lost several minutes deal with impolite guys who needed to pass at the WRONG times). I had a shouting match with one guy, who proceeded to close his trap after I reminded him that I was trying to let him by, and not actually just going at turtle-like speed on the edge of the trail for the heck of it.

The funniest part of the race is when I move over to the right to let a nice guy pass..... I hear a riiiiiiiiiiiipppppp, feel my shorts being pulled by a branch and realize... I have a major hole all along the right leg of my shorts. Yes I got some comments from observers, but the best was when I was leading a few guys down the Super D course (feeling great, probably because it was the final lap!)... a spectator yells out "Hey, you are beating the guys.... NICE LEG!" Ahhh, that was pretty funny!

In the end I think I finished 8th in my class, but as Greg says, my time was still competitive. I like to think that things could have been better had I not been travelling alot (work, personal) , overtrained, etc etc. I have alot of things to evaluate here in the off season. As my coach Gareth Thomas has told me for my month off: drink more beer, and eat more pizza.

Highlight of the whole weekend: Meeting Mary McConneloug and Michael Broderick. Their advice to me: "Turn pro as soon as you can........." Hmmmmmmmmm............ Part of me wants to apply TODAY for my pro license, but am I READY?!??!

Oh yeah, almost forgot about Sunday's short track race. I SHOULD HAVE SLEPT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was by far the worst race I have EVER had. I was not recovered from Sat (my own fault.. i was on my feet all day watching other races, and not dressed warm enough in the evening while watching Super D. My legs were in severe pain the whole race... then again I was pulled out after only 4 or 5 laps!! They only let 6 riders finish in the end, which pissed alot of people off. Personally, I always get stronger as the race goes on . I normally start picking people off, however this day was a terrible day. I should have gone with my instinct, OR maybe properly recovered on Sat!

Thanks to everyone who consoled me after that race. It means alot....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christie is such a rock-star, you all don't even know. She definately should move up to Pro. I have been working w/ the talented Mrs. Pleiss WAAAY back when she was the talented Ms. Miller. Thank God she has stayed loyal to the cause, as I really don't know that I could have done any of this team building in the early days without her. Thanks, Christie, and I can't wait to see you at the Camp-N-Rizzle! Congrats on your 2nd place Overall in the State!

cap'n Chris

Sharpie said...

Hi Lil C, sorry I can't make the ride Saturday! This Blog thing is fun, and takes TONS of time away from what I really should be doing!! YAAAY. I am very excited about your move up, and look forward to spending next year on the road with you, and the rest of the group, kickin ass. Have a groovy day!

C